Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Internet Filters: Circle vs. Torch

I felt like I needed to write this post, even though I am not an active blogger. I recently had the opportunity to try both of the most talked about internet filters for families: Circle (by Disney) and Torch (a complete router).

At first, I was completely disappointed by both. Let me explain. In my mind, I thought that an internet filtering device would be able to filter EVERYTHING if desired. I expected them to be able to filter images and results from a search on Google, for example. It turns out that filtering managed sites (meaning sites that already manage their own content) is currently impossible. At least that's what Circle and Torch tell me. If someone using Circle or Torch searches something sketchy, they are going to see some sketchy pictures and videos. I was so upset about this!! Why get a filter if it can't even keep out images in the first place my kids would think to look!? The answer, obviously, is that it's going to keep them from clicking and viewing the actual, external websites. Yes, that's great, but I still really wish it were possible to keep those images away in the first place. Also, these filters DO NOT filter material that isn't considered explicit. That means that sites like Sports Illustrated or Victoria Secret are still going to be clickable. With that in mind, here are some details on the two products:

USER INTERFACE

Circle

Circle definitely wins this category. The app is extremely user friendly and the activity reporting is easy to interpret (meaning that websites visited on certain devices show up in an easy-to-understand format). It shows the sites/apps visited, time visited, and time spent there. The app allows easy access to changing settings for the profiles added.

Torch

Torch's dashboard online isn't terrible. It's easy to set up profiles, but it was difficult to figure out where the filtering was happening and how to alter it. We eventually found it under the "Blocked" category. You log-in to this interface, so still available on the go, but not as easy as opening an app. The reporting on usage is completely unintelligible. It keeps track of even the internal inquiries on the device, so it's really just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.


FUNCTIONALITY

I feel like their functionality is quite similar in terms of filtering, though I noticed more of a lag time in internet speed with Torch than with Circle. I didn't expect that, especially because the talk online is that Circle is supposed to slow things down more. Torch took longer to take effect on the devices that were added to a profile on the dashboard (with a different filtering level), but worked great once it connected. Circle's filtering is less customizable in my opinion. You have to choose a filtering level (like kid, teen, etc.) and they choose what is then filtered (with some options). Torch allows you to filter by category (like gambling, social media, etc.). You can also enter in specific websites to be filtered here. I didn't see that option with the Circle app. Here is the thing that makes a big difference to me: Circle can be unplugged or turned off and the internet will still work, meaning the devices still connect to your router, sans filtering. Torch cannot be unplugged without stopping the internet. I am thinking about myself as a teen...I would have figured out immediately that I could unplug Circle and do whatever I wanted to do online. Even though I like Circle better in terms of ease of use, this fact alone makes me want to use Torch. Also, with our current internet setup, our modem IS a router. So using Torch actually gives us two wi-fi signals. This means that Scott and I can keep our devices on our regular network (without any slow down at all) and the kids can be connected to the Torch signal. We noticed that a few devices (like our kids DS's) wouldn't work with Circle or Torch. They couldn't connect when it was on. Having both networks solves that problem, too. We can connect the DS's to the regular network and use the restrictions on the DS itself to protect from inappropriate content, then link all of the other devices to the Torch. Circle does not allow two separate wifi signals (unless you set up a router on the other side of the house or something?!).

MISCELLANEOUS 

Apparently, there will be a fee associated with using Torch. Not cool. I thought it was a one-time purchase. Circle IS a one-time purchase right now, though who knows if they will charge for updates in the future. Both Torch and Circle will have the capability to filter devices outside of the home for a monthly fee (Circle already has Circle-Go).



I think that pretty much covers it! I will be giving feedback to Torch and I still haven't totally decided which way we will go. I am thinking: Circle for now so we don't have to pay a monthly fee, then move to Torch in the future when our kids get too smart!? We have also messed with the restrictions and settings on each individual device and have also researched options online (like turning on Google Safe-Search). This site is a great start: https://www.google.com/safetycenter/families/start/

Hope this helps you in your search for internet safety!!


No comments:

Post a Comment